20 July 2012

Making the Arduino Leonardo work with Windows 8

Look what arrived today!


Time to build and code awesome things!  ...Except that I'm running Windows 8 Release Preview 64 bit.  This makes things awkward.


I had downloaded the Arduino software, and I knew from the official instructions that the driver had to be installed manually, but I didn't expect the runaround required to do it.  So here are some unofficial instructions to avoid future suffering of others.


(I don't know if this works or is needed for other versions of Windows 8, but I would guess so.)


First, disable enforcement of driver signatures (thanks to Xark on #arduino for the link - very cool people over there).  The contrived chain of things to click goes as so:

  • Settings
  • Change PC settings
  • General
  • Restart now under Advanced startup
  • (wait for a reboot)
  • Troubleshoot
  • Advanced options
  • Windows startup settings
  • Restart
  • (wait for a reboot again)
  • Disable driver signature enforcement
Now Windows will start up and let you install the drivers.  The process for this is also not totally obvious, so here it is:
  • Start
  • Control Panel (type to search for it - much faster)
  • Hardware and Sound
  • Device Manager under Devices and Printers
  • Right-click Arduino Leonard under Other devices
  • Update Driver Software...
  • Browse my computer for driver software
  • Browse... and find where you downloaded the Arduino software
  • Include subfolders
  • Next
Then it finds the drivers all nicely and tells you that it's done and you can close everything.

One last thing to remember is the slightly fiddly procedure when uploading a sketch to the Leonardo.  Now go forth and make amazing things!

4 comments:

  1. Kieren, Thank you so much, you're my savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)
    thanks, you save my weekend.
    I was searching this information for a entire day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi All-

    Thanks for the post!! This is way late, but I'm hoping that someone picks this up because I am very much stuck.

    I follow the directions perfectly, but when I click next at the end, I get a message saying:
    "Windows was unable to install your Arduino Leonardo
    Windows could not find driver software for your device.
    If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

    I have been at this for hours and have hit the same snag a million times. I am just trying to get the arduino to act as a HID keyboard to drive a software application that is listening for keystrokes.

    Thanks for any and all help.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete